Sausages with sage ‘n’ squash mash
Prep time: 20 mins
Recipe photograph by Andrew Burton
Our sausages with sage and squash mash is a lighter take on the comfort food classic
Prep time: 20 mins
See more recipes
Nutritional information (per serving)
- 20g butter
- 2 large garlic cloves, thickly sliced
- 4 large sage leaves
- 1 red onion, finely sliced
- 4 reduced fat sausages of your choice (we used Heck. Use gluten-free sausages if required)
- 1 tbsp caramelised onion chutney
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 400ml beef stock (use gluten-free stock if required)
- ½ tsp cornflour (optional), to thicken
- 2 x 300g packs diced butternut squash and sweet potato
Step by step
- Preheat the grill to medium-high. Melt the butter in a sauté pan, add the garlic and sage and cook gently for 2-3 minutes until softened but not brown. Remove with a slotted spoon to a plate, leaving as much butter as possible in the pan. Then finely chop the sage and garlic.
- Add the onion to the pan with a pinch of salt, cover with a lid and cook on a low heat for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, grill the sausages on a grill rack for 20 minutes, turning halfway, or until golden and cooked through.
- When the onion has had 10 minutes, remove the lid and cook uncovered, stirring, for a further 5 minutes until softened and beginning to caramelise. Stir in the chutney, Worcestershire sauce and beef stock, and season with black pepper (no salt). Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 10 minutes until beginning to reduce and thicken. Remove from the heat. If you prefer a thicker gravy, mix the cornflour with a teaspoon of cold water and stir into the gravy until thickened.
- Microwave the squash and sweet potato according to pack instructions (or until completely soft). Mash with the fried garlic and sage and seasoning to taste.
- Serve the sausages with the mash and onion gravy, plus any green veg you like – broccoli or savoy cabbage go well.