Roasted aubergine, squash & feta grain bake
Roasted aubergine, squash & feta grain bakeSubscribe to Sainsbury's magazine
As the tide turns against processed carbs such as white bread, so-called ‘ancient grains’ like spelt, kamut and bulgur are making a comeback. They provide slow-release carbs, fibre and may help lower cholesterol and blood pressure. This hearty dish smashes all your 5-a-day, and more!
- 1 aubergine, cut into 2cm chunks
- 300g prepared butternut squash, cut into roughly 2cm chunks
- 1 large red onion, cut into wedges
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tbsp chopped thyme leaves
- 200g cherry tomatoes, halved
- 100g pearled spelt or barley
- 100g vegetarian feta
- 2 tbsp pine nuts
- 30g wild rocket
- Preheat the oven to 200°C, fan 180°C, gas 6. Toss the aubergine, squash and red onion with the oil, paprika, thyme and seasoning. Spread out in a large roasting tin and cook in the oven for 20 minutes. Mix the tomatoes into the roasting veg and return to the oven for 15 minutes or until tender.
- Meanwhile, add the spelt or barley to a pan of boiling water and cook for 20-25 minutes until tender.
- Drain the spelt and mix in with the veg. Crumble on the feta and scatter with pine nuts, then bake for a further 5-10 minutes, turning the oven up to 220°C, fan 200°C, gas 7. Scatter with rocket just before serving.
Tip You can also use a 250g pack of pre-cooked grains of your choice, or rice.