Oven-baked fish and chips
Serves 2 | total time
- 2 medium baking potatoes
- 5 tsp oil, plus extra for frying
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- 1 x 300g cod loin
- 5 tbsp panko breadcrumbs
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- zest of 1 lemon
- 2 spring onions, trimmed and chopped
- 150g frozen peas
- 1 lemon, cut into wedges
- Preheat the oven to 220°C, fan 200°C, gas 7. Halve each potato; cut into thin wedges. Put them on a baking tray lined with baking paper and drizzle over 2 teaspoons oil, the paprika and some seasoning. Toss and bake for 35-40 minutes, until tender and crisp.
- Meanwhile, cut the cod loin in half and pat dry with kitchen paper. Pour over 1 teaspoon oil, season and turn gently to coat the fish all over. Place on a second baking sheet lined with baking paper.
- In a bowl, mix the breadcrumbs, garlic, lemon zest and some seasoning with 2 teaspoons oil. Spoon on top of the cod fillets, pressing gently to make it stick. Put in the oven with the potatoes for the final 12-15 minutes of cooking, until the fish is opaque and the breadcrumbs crisp.
- While the cod and potatoes are cooking, heat a little oil in a small saucepan, add the spring onions and sweat for a minute or two until softened. Add the peas and cook for 3-4 minutes until the peas are cooked and tender. Serve with lemon wedges.