Tom Daley's kedgeree with salmon
Makes 40 minutes | Serves 2 |
Tom Daley's kedgeree with salmonSubscribe to Sainsbury's magazine
Makes 40 minutes | Serves 2
Tom Daley's gorgeous kedgeree uses salmon and packs in fresh courgette meaning lower carbs than your average version
Nutritional information (per serving)
- 200g salmon fillet
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 large spring onions, sliced into small rings
- 3⁄4 tsp curry powder
- 1⁄4 tsp turmeric
- a good pinch of crushed dried chilli flakes
- 75g brown basmati rice
- 425ml hot vegetable or chicken stock
- 1 small courgette, most of it finely grated, some peeled into strips using a julienne peeler, to garnish (optional)
- 60g frozen peas, thawed
- 2 eggs
- 2 tbsp chopped parsley, plus extra to garnish
- 1 lemon, cut into wedges, to serve (optional)
- Preheat the grill. Season the salmon fillet with salt and pepper and grill for about 10 minutes until cooked. Set aside until cool enough to handle, then flake into large chunks.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a saucepan and stir-fry the spring onions for 1-2 minutes until softened. Stir in the spices, then continue to stir-fry for 30 seconds or so to cook the spices.
- Stir in the rice and cook for 1 minute to coat in the spices. Pour the hot stock over the top and cover with a lid. Bring the stock to the boil, then turn the heat down low and cook for 20-25 minutes.
- Take the lid off the pan and quickly spoon the grated courgette and peas on top of the rice. Cover and cook for 3 minutes longer until all the water has been absorbed and the courgette and peas are tender.
- Meanwhile, put the eggs in a small pan, cover with cold water and bring to the boil. Once boiling, cook for 6 minutes. Drain well and cover the eggs with cold water, then carefully peel off the shells.
- Fluff up the rice and stir in the parsley and salmon flakes, then divide the kedgeree between 2 bowls. Halve the eggs, arrange them on top and scatter over a little more parsley. Garnish with the strips of courgette; serve with lemon wedges, if you like.