Hot dogs with New York-streetcart onions
Serves 12 | total time
For the streetcart onions
- 1½ tsp olive oil
- 4 large onions, thinly sliced
- 325ml tomato juice
- ½ tsp celery salt
- 1 tbsp tomato purée
- 1½ tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp sugar
- ½ tsp cornflour
- ½ tsp crushed dried chilli flakes, or more to taste
- 4 tbsp cider vinegar, or to taste
- 12 jumbo frankfurters
- 12 jumbo hot dog rolls, split
Cook the onions up to 2 days ahead and keep chilled. Reheat before serving.
- For the streetcart onions, heat the olive oil in a large saucepan over a medium heat and add the onions. Gently cook the onions, uncovered and stirring frequently, until they are soft and translucent but not browned. This may take about 30 minutes.
- Add the remaining ingredients, along with 150ml water and ¼ teaspoon salt, and cook over a very low heat, uncovered and stirring frequently, for 1 hour or until the mixture is reduced, thick and the onions are very tender.
- Taste and adjust the seasoning to your liking with more chilli flakes or more cider vinegar. Cook the frankfurters – follow the instructions on the pack and either boil, grill or chargrill the hot dog sausages until piping hot, depending on how you prefer them cooked. Place in the rolls and generously spoon the onions on top.