Halloumi and rainbow veg grain bowl
- 150g frozen diced butternut squash and sweet potato mix
- 150g frozen chargrilled Mediterranean vegetable mix
- 2-2½ tbsp olive oil
- 75g frozen sliced red onion, (or 1 fresh, sliced)
- 8 cherry tomatoes, halved, optional
- 50g frozen edamame, broad beans or peas
- 1 x 250g pouch cooked quinoa, grains or rice - use gluten-free if required
- zest and juice of ½ lemon (or 1 tbsp bottled lemon juice)
- 2 tbsp frozen herbs eg basil, optional
- ½ tsp nigella seeds
- ½ x 225g block halloumi
- 1 tbsp clear honey
Step by step
- Preheat the oven to 200°C, fan 180°C, gas 6. Toss the frozen squash and sweet potato with 1⁄2 tablespoon of oil and some seasoning and spread out at one end of a large baking tray. Put the chargrilled veg at the other end, drizzle with another 1⁄2 tablespoon of oil. Roast for 15 minutes initially.
- Toss the frozen red onion and cherry tomatoes (if using) with another 1⁄2 tablespoon of oil and add to the tray, giving the veg a stir. Cook for another 10-15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, put the edamame (or other green veg) in a bowl, cover with boiling water to defrost, then drain. Heat the grains following pack instructions, then stir in the lemon zest and herbs if using, plus a squeeze of lemon juice.
- Lightly crush the nigella seeds, either in a pestle and mortar or use the end of a rolling pin in a bowl to bash them up a bit and release their flavour. Cut the halloumi into 6 slices then fry on a medium heat in 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a nonstick frying pan for 2 minutes each side until golden brown. Add the nigella seeds, honey, lemon juice and 1 tablespoon of water and bubble for about 30 seconds, swirling the pan.
- Divide the grains between 2 bowls then top with the roasted veg, the edamame and the halloumi, spooning over the warm dressing from the pan.