- 120g basmati and wild rice mix, rinsed
- 1 x 320g pack skinless chicken thigh fillets
- 3 tsp olive oil
- 200g chestnut mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tbsp plain flour*
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 250ml chicken stock*
- 100g lighter soured cream
- ½-1 tsp English mustard
- 1½ tbsp chopped tarragon
Step by step
- Bring a pan of water to the boil and cook the rice for about 20 minutes or until tender. Drain well, return to the pan, cover with a lid and allow to steam dry.
- Meanwhile, slice the chicken into thick strips and season. Heat 2 teaspoons of the oil in a large sauté pan and fry the chicken over a high heat for 6-8 minutes or until browned on all sides. Set aside on a plate.
- Add the remaining 1 teaspoon of oil to the pan and fry the mushrooms with seasoning for 5 minutes until browned. Reduce to a medium heat, return the chicken to the pan and stir in the paprika, plain flour and garlic; cook for 1 minute. Gradually stir in the stock and simmer uncovered for 8-10 minutes until the chicken is cooked through and the sauce has thickened slightly.
Stir in the soured cream, mustard and most of the tarragon; warm through gently. Divide the cooked rice between two bowls and spoon the stroganoff over. Garnish with the rest of the tarragon just before serving.
*Use gluten-free plain flour and check your stock is gluten-free, if required.