Chicken chow mein
Serves 4 | prep 10 mins | total time
- 300g dried fine egg noodles
- 2 tsp toasted sesame oil, plus a little extra
- 4 skinless chicken breast fillets, sliced into strips
- a splash of dark soy sauce
- 1-2 tsp five-spice powder
- 2 tbsp cornflour
- 2 red peppers, deseeded and finely sliced
- 300g bean sprouts
- 2 large spring onions, trimmed and sliced lengthways
- 4 tbsp light soy sauce
- In a pan of boiling water, cook the noodles for 3 minutes. Drain, run under cold water and toss with a little sesame oil.
- Mix the chicken with the dark soy sauce and coat with the five-spice and cornflour. Heat the two tablespoons of oil in a wok or large frying pan over a high heat, then add the chicken and stir-fry for 2-3 minutes until cooked.
- Add the red pepper and stir-fry for 1 minute, then add the bean sprouts and spring onion and stir-fry briefly.
Tip Chow mein means 'stir noodle', or stir-fried noodle and couldn't be easier!
- Add the noodles and season with the light soy sauce and the remaining sesame oil.
Chinese New Year Vines