Chicken and giant couscous broth
Chicken and giant couscous brothSubscribe to Sainsbury's magazine
Healthy and hearty!
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 3 echalion shallots, peeled, trimmed and halved lengthways
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 100ml dry vermouth or sherry
- 500ml fresh chicken stock
- ½ x 15g pack thyme, leaves picked
- 75g wholewheat giant couscous
- 2 skinless chicken breast fillets (approx 360g)
- 100g cavolo nero, leaves stripped from the woody stalks and torn (or ready-prepared)
- zest and juice of ½ lemon
Heat the oil in a medium-sized, heavy-bottomed saucepan and place over a medium- high heat. Add the shallots cut-side down. Caramelise the shallots for 4 minutes without turning them.
Add the garlic and vermouth into the pan, allowing it to bubble up for 30 seconds then add the stock, thyme, giant couscous and 100ml of just-boiled water to the pan and bring to the boil. Add the chicken breasts to the pan and immediately turn the heat down to a very gentle simmer. Cook for 12 minutes. In the final 4 minutes of cooking, add the cavolo nero.
To finish, remove the pan from the heat, and lift the chicken breasts out onto a board. Add lemon juice to the broth and ladle the couscous, shallots, cavolo nero and broth into 2 bowls. Slice the chicken breasts thickly, add to the bowls and sprinkle over the lemon zest.