- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 2 large aubergines, cut into 2cm dice
- 1 large red onion, sliced
- 1 x 430g jar Taste the Difference Rustica Italian passata
- 3 tbsp capers, drained (or another piquant pickled veg eg gherkins)
- 3 tbsp raisins, sultanas or other dried fruit
- 1 tbsp caster sugar or honey
- juice of ½ lemon
- 75g vegetarian feta, crumbled
- small handful basil leaves, torn
Step by step
- Heat 11⁄2 tablespoons of the oil in a large pan over a high heat. Fry half the aubergine with a pinch of salt for 5-7 minutes or until golden-brown on all sides. Repeat with another 11⁄2 tablespoons of oil and the rest of the aubergine.
- Reduce the heat, add the remaining tablespoon of oil and onion, and then cook for a further 8 minutes or until the onion is softened and beginning to colour.
- Stir in the passata, capers, raisins or sultanas, sugar or honey and lemon juice, and season well. Fill the passata jar a quarter full with water and add this, too. Cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 20 minutes, then remove from the heat.
Let the caponata sit for a while as it is best served warm or at room temperature. Scatter over the feta and basil, and enjoy with some crusty bread.TipScatter with a handful of toasted pine nuts or pumpkin seeds for extra crunch.