Ham and apple crunchy coleslaw with seeds
Serves 6-8 | prep 25 mins |
Ham and apple crunchy coleslaw with seedsSubscribe to Sainsbury's magazine
Serves 6-8 | prep 25 mins
Nutritional information (per serving)
- 2 red-skinned dessert apples
- 2 tsp white wine vinegar
- 250g cooked ham, plus extra slices to serve
- 300g white cabbage, finely shredded
- 175g carrots, peeled and grated
- 2 large celery sticks, sliced
- 1 bunch of spring onions, trimmed, cleaned and chopped
- 100g mixed seeds (pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, sesame seeds and golden linseeds)
- 150g mayonnaise
- 4 tbsp whole-milk natural yogurt
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp chopped parsley
- thickly sliced sourdough or ciabatta, toasted, to serve
Prepare up to the end of step 4 a day ahead but leave the parsley out of the dressing and don't prepare the apple; cover and chill. To serve, prepare the apple and add to the vegetables, then mix with the dressing.
- Core and quarter the apples and cut them into half-moons. Toss in a large bowl with the white wine vinegar.
- Thickly slice the cooked ham, trim and discard any fat and cut the meat into chunky strips.
- Put the ham strips, cabbage, carrots, celery, spring onions and most of the seeds to the bowl; toss together well.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the mayonnaise, yogurt, Dijon mustard and most of the parsley, and season with plenty of salt and pepper to taste.
- Stir the dressing into the coleslaw mixture and serve on toasted sourdough or ciabatta, sprinkled with the reserved seeds and the remaining parsley.