John West smoked mackerel kedgeree
Serves 4 | prep 15 mins | total time
- 25g butter
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 tbsp curry powder
- 175g basmati rice
- 250ml vegetable stock
- 30g frozen peas
- zest of 1 lemon
- 1 x 110g can John West smoked mackerel fillets
- 2 tomatoes, deseeded and chopped
- 2 spring onions, chopped (optional)
- 4 hard-boiled eggs
- 2 tbsp fresh coriander, chopped
- In a large saucepan melt the butter with the olive oil and gently fry the onion for 2 to 3 minutes, until soft but not browned. Add the garlic and curry powder and continue to cook for a further minute.
- Meanwhile, place the rice into a sieve and rinse under cold water until the water runs clear and leave to drain. Add the uncooked rice to the saucepan and fry for one minute until all the grains are coated in the spice mixture.
- Add the vegetable stock, peas and lemon zest to the pan and cover with the lid. Continue to cook for two minutes then remove the pan from the heat and leave for 10 minutes, leaving the lid on. Gently flake the smoked mackerel fillets onto a plate, adding the chopped tomatoes and spring onions.
Tip If you would like this to be a gluten-free recipe, please ensure that your stock is guaranteed gluten-free.
- After 10 minutes, add the mackerel, tomatoes and spring onions to the pan, gently folding the ingredients together. Place on a warmed serving plate and garnish with the sliced hard-boiled eggs and fresh coriander and serve.