Hot cross bun muffins
Makes 12 | prep 20 mins | total time
- 5 hot cross buns, sliced in 3 horizontally
- 190g butter, softened
- 90g marmalade
- 200g caster sugar
- 3 medium eggs
- 270g plain flour
- 1 x 75g sachet instant custard powder
- 1 heaped tbsp baking powder
- 175ml milk
- a dusting of icing sugar, to dust (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 180°C, fan 160°C, gas 4. Line a 12-hole muffin tin with tulip cases. Spread the slices of hot cross bun with 40g of the butter and the marmalade. Cut into small pieces, approximately 1cm square, and set aside.
- With an electric hand whisk, cream the remaining butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Whisk in the eggs one at a time, beating well between each addition. Fold in the flour, custard powder and baking powder.
- Add the milk and whisk on a low speed until combined. Stir through all the pieces of hot cross bun.
- Divide between the muffin cases. Bake for 20-25 minutes. Leave to cool in the tin for 10 minutes, then eat while warm or turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely. Dust with a little icing sugar to serve. The muffins are best eaten on the day they're made.