Makes 2 | Serves 2 | prep 20 mins | total time
For the coconut caramel
- 100ml coconut cream, mixed well
- 25g coconut sugar or caster sugar
For the banana ice cream
- 2 small, very ripe bananas, cut into 3cm chunks, spread on a flat tray and frozen for at least 2 hours
For the milkshake
- 1 very ripe banana, cut into 3cm chunks, spread on a flat tray and frozen for at least 2 hours
- 2 tbsp coconut cream
- 450ml almond milk
- 4-5 ice cubes
- 30g dairy-free chocolate, melted
- 1 x vegan chocolate brownie (or, use 1 Sainsbury's Deliciously Free From Chocolate Brownie, however these are not vegan)
- 50ml coconut cream, chilled for at least 2 hours
- a handful of chocolate vermicelli
- a handful of mini vegan pretzels
Make the ice cream ahead.
- To make the coconut caramel, pour the coconut cream and sugar into a small pan and bring to the boil, stirring frequently. Reduce the heat slightly and simmer the mixture for 4-5 minutes, stirring frequently until glossy and slightly thickened. Transfer to a bowl to cool completely. If the mixture looks a little thick upon cooling, whisk in a little more coconut cream to achieve a pourable consistency.
- To make the ice cream, simply tip the frozen bananas into a high-powered blender or food processor and whiz for 1-2 minutes until light, fluffy and creamy. It is best to use the ice cream immediately, but if you want to make it ahead, freeze and process again to serve.
- To assemble the freakshakes, blitz the milkshake ingredients in a blender until smooth. Take 2 large glasses or mason jars and dip the rims into the melted chocolate. Use a teaspoon to create some chocolatey drips inside the glass and pour in the shake. Add one or two scoops of the ice cream onto each shake and top with the brownie – breaking it up a little, if you like. Put the coconut cream into a piping bag and squirt some on top, then drizzle with the caramel. Use a little more of the melted chocolate to stick the pretzels around the rim of the glass and finish with some chocolate vermicelli. Serve immediately.