We value your privacy
Whip 300ml of the cream; chill. Pour 1 litre of the milk into a pan, add the chocolate and the sugar, then heat gently, stirring with a wooden spoon. Pour in the rest of the milk and simmer for 5 minutes, whisking now and again with a balloon whisk to make sure the chocolate has completely melted.
Add the remaining cream to the pan and whisk for a couple of minutes until frothy. Pour the hot chocolate into small heatproof glasses or mugs. Top with the chilled whipped cream and sprinkle with ground cinnamon.
Additions and variations
• A pinch of chilli powder
• A split vanilla pod
• A cinnamon stick
• Crushed seeds from split cardamom pods
• A little instant espresso powder for a hot mocha
• Use half milk and half water for a lower-fat drink
• A spoonful of hazelnut chocolate spread
• Use Maya gold chocolate, sprinkle with orange zest
• Use half mint chocolate and half dark chocolate, finish with an After Eight mint
• A dash of Frangelico, top with toasted chopped nuts
• Top with a little grated chocolate or a couple of marshmallows.