Vanilla pineapple with star anise
- 800g prepared fresh pineapple chunks
- 4 tbsp light or dark soft brown sugar
- 1 vanilla pod, halved lengthways and seeds removed
- 1 tbsp orange juice
- 1 star anise
- 500ml vanilla ice cream, to serve
Step by step
- Preheat the grill to a high setting. Tip the pineapple chunks (and any juice) into a bowl with the sugar.
- Put the vanilla seeds into a small dish with the orange juice and mix together.
- Pour the vanilla liquid into the bowl with the pineapple and add the star anise. Toss together, then tip the whole lot into a shallow ovenproof dish.
- Grill the pineapple for 15 minutes, turning it two or three times and basting it with the sugary juices. Eat warm with the vanilla ice cream.