Rhubarb toasted marshmallow puddings
Makes 4 | prep 15 mins | total time
- 450g rhubarb
- 25g root ginger, grated
- 150g caster sugar
- 350ml whole milk
- 25g butter
- zest of 1 lemon
- 90g white breadcrumbs
- 2 large eggs, separated
- icing sugar for dusting
- Preheat the oven to 180°C, fan 160°C, gas 4. Trim the rhubarb and cut it into 3cm chunks. Scatter in an ovenproof baking dish with the ginger and 75g of the sugar. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until tender. Drain the rhubarb, reserving the juices; whiz half of the rhubarb chunks with the juices. Toss with the remaining rhubarb chunks.
- Heat the milk, butter, lemon zest and 25g of the remaining sugar in a pan to simmering point. Remove from the heat.
- Whisk the breadcrumbs into the milk mixture, then the egg yolks. Divide between 4 x 200ml buttered heatproof dishes. Bake for 20 minutes or until set.
Tip To make one large pudding, use an 800ml dish
- Divide the rhubarb equally between the puddings, spreading it over the breadcrumb layer.
- Whisk the egg whites until stiff, then gradually whisk in the last 50g of sugar to make a glossy meringue. Top the puddings with the meringue mix and bake for 6-8 minutes or until golden and set. Dust lightly with icing sugar to serve.
How to plate up lemon meringue tart