Toffee popcorn cookies
Makes 24 | prep 25 mins | total time
- 225g soft butter
- 250g demerara sugar
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 300g self-raising flour
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 100g toffee popcorn
- 1 x 100g bar dark chocolate
Make 1 day ahead; store in an airtight container. They freeze well, both with and without the dark chocolate drizzle.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C, fan 160°C, gas 4.
- Beat the butter and sugar together in a stand mixer or with an electric hand whisk for a few minutes until well combined. Add the beaten egg and mix again.
- Tip in the flour, baking powder, half the popcorn and a pinch of salt; mix together.
- Roll half the dough into golf ball-sized balls. Put them on a large baking tray lined with baking paper and lightly flatten each one. Press half the remaining popcorn into the cookies. Bake the cookies for 12-13 minutes or until lightly golden. Leave on the tray for 2-3 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool. Repeat with the other half of the dough and the rest of the popcorn.
- Melt the chocolate in a bowl set over a pan of barely simmering water, then drizzle over the cookies. Leave to cool and set (you can pop them in the fridge to speed up setting the chocolate).