Orange, fig and almond biscotti
Makes 24 | prep 15 mins | total time
- 100g blanched almonds
- 225g plain flour, plus extra
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp mixed spice
- 150g golden caster sugar
- 100g ready-to-eat dried figs, roughly chopped
- 2 medium eggs, plus 1 egg yolk
- 25g melted butter
- finely grated zest of 1 orange
- 1 tsp Taste the Difference Valencian orange extract
Make up to a few days ahead. Cool and store in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks.
- Preheat the oven to 190°C, fan 170°C, gas 5. Scatter the almonds on to a baking tray. Roast for 5 minutes; cool.
- Sift the flour, baking powder, mixed spice and a pinch of salt into a bowl. Stir in the sugar, almonds and figs.
- In a jug, whisk the eggs and yolk, butter, orange zest and extract.
- Make a well in the dry ingredients, pour in the egg mixture. Stir to bring together; knead on a floured surface.
- Divide in two, roll each into an even log about 4cm wide; transfer to a large lined baking tray. Bake for 25-30 minutes; cool for 15 minutes.
- Reduce the oven to 150°C, fan 130°C, gas 2. Slice each log into 12 x 1.5cm-thick slices on the diagonal. Arrange cut-side down and bake for 20 minutes, turning halfway. Transfer to a wire rack; cool.