Board game biscuits
Makes about 35 | prep 45 mins | total time
- 100g soft unsalted butter
- 125g caster sugar
- 1 large egg yolk
- ½ tsp vanilla bean paste or ¼ tsp vanilla extract
- 200g plain flour, plus extra for dusting
- 350g white chocolate
- 1 tube of black writing icing, from a multipack of 4
Bake the cookies up to 3 days ahead. Cool completely before transferring to an airtight container. The decorated cookies will keep for up to 3 days in an airtight container in the fridge. The uniced biscuits can be frozen.
- Preheat the oven to 170°C, fan 150°C, gas 3. Line 2 large baking sheets with baking paper. Using an electric hand whisk, beat the butter and sugar together for a few moments until fairly pale. Whisk in the egg yolk and vanilla, then fold in the flour until a dough forms.
- Lightly dust your worktop with flour then roll out the dough into a rough rectangle, around 0.5cm thick. Use a ruler to cut out 4cm squares. Reroll any scraps and repeat.
- Transfer to the prepared baking sheets making sure there is space between them. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until just golden. Allow to cool on the baking sheets for 5 minutes before moving onto a wire rack to cool completely. You will need to bake these in batches.
- Gently melt the white chocolate in a bowl set over a pan of barely simmering water or in a microwave on a low setting.
- Dunk all the biscuits in white chocolate until fully coated and leave to set on a wire rack in the fridge.
- Leave around 5 of the squares blank. Using the black icing pen, pipe on your chosen letter in the middle of each cookie. Don't forget the letter score in the bottom right hand corner!