Mince pie trifle
- 1 x 411g jar mincemeat (made with vegetarian suet)
- finely grated zest of 1 orange
- 3 tbsp orange juice
- 4 tbsp sweet sherry
- 1 x 295g madeira cake
- ½ tbsp sweet sherry
- 1 x 500g tub thick ready-made custard (we used Sainsbury’s fresh custard)
- 600ml whipping cream
- 3 tbsp icing sugar
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tbsp flaked almonds, toasted
- 2 tbsp mixed dried fruit
- 2-3 crumbled shortbread fingers to serve
Step by step
- Mix the mincemeat with the finely grated zest of 1 orange and 3 tbsp juice in a small pan and heat gently, just enough to melt the white suet in the mincemeat.
- Stir in 4 tbsp sweet sherry and leave to cool. Cut the madeira cake into 2cm cubes and add to the bottom of a medium trifle bowl. Spoon over the cooled mincemeat mixture.
- Fold ½ tbsp sweet sherry though the custard and pour over the sponge in the trifle bowl.
- Whisk the whipping cream, icing sugar and ½ tsp ground cinnamon together until soft peaks form then spoon over the trifle in big, billowy peaks. Chill until ready to serve.
- Add a pinch more ground cinnamon to the top, and scatter with toasted flaked almonds, mixed dried fruit and the crumbled shortbread fingers to serve.