Serves 12 | prep 15 mins | total time
- 200g unsalted butter, diced
- 300g dark chocolate, broken up
- 275g soft brown sugar
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 tbsp strong black coffee
- 250g self-raising flour
- 300g cherries, stoned
Make up to a day ahead; can be frozen.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C, fan 160°C, gas 4, and line a 20 x 25cm baking tin with nonstick baking paper. Melt the butter in a large pan and then, off the heat, stir in the chocolate until melted.
- Beat in the sugar, eggs and coffee, then the flour, to make a smooth, glossy mixture. Stir in the cherries.
- Pour into the tin. Bake for 25-30 minutes, until set and with a crust but still a little gooey in the middle. Cool in the tin before cutting into squares.
Tip If you want to keep the brownies for more than a day, simmer the cherries first in a syrup (made by dissolving 250g caster sugar in 250ml boiling water) for 10 minutes. Drain and use in the same way.