Classic Victoria sponge
Serves 8 | prep 15 minutes | total time
- 175g butter
- 175g Billington's Unrefined Golden Caster Sugar
- 3 medium free-range eggs
- 175g self-raising flour
- Strawberry jam
- 200ml double cream
- Billington's Unrefined Golden Icing Sugar
- a few fresh strawberries and blueberries to decorate (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 180°C, fan 160°C, gas 4.
- Cream the butter and sugar together. Add the eggs one at a time to the creamed mixture, beating well.
- Sift in the flour and fold in lightly. Divide the mixture into two greased and base-lined 7 inch sandwich tins. Bake for 25 minutes until risen and golden brown.
- Once baked, remove from the oven and leave to stand in the tins for a minute before turning out onto a wire rack to cool.
- Sandwich the two cakes with the jam and cream. Sift a generous dusting of Golden Icing Sugar over the top and decorate with the fruit if using to serve.