Plum and almond breakfast pastries
Makes 12 | prep 20 mins | total time
- 500g puff pastry, preferably all-butter
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 250g good-quality marzipan
- 3-4 ripe plums, thinly sliced
- 4 tbsp flaked almonds
- 100g icing sugar
- a sprinkle of flour, for dusting
- Preheat the oven to 220°C, fan 200°C, gas 7. Halve the pastry and, on a floured surface, roll each half to 18 x 27cm. Cut into 12 squares, put on two baking sheets, lined with nonstick baking paper, and brush with the egg.
- Divide the marzipan into 12 and roll to squares just smaller than the pastry. Press on to the middle of the pastry squares and arrange the plums on top. Sprinkle with the almonds and bake for 15 minutes until golden. Cool on a rack for 30 minutes, then mix the icing sugar with 3-4 teaspoons of cold water and drizzle over. Serve warm or at room temperature.