Duck egg and chorizo brunch salad
Serves 2 | prep 15 mins | total time
- 50g rustic bread e.g. ciabatta or sourdough
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 25g blanched almonds
- 75g diced chorizo
- ½ red pepper, sliced
- 1 tbsp sherry vinegar
- 2 duck eggs
- 75g baby leaf spinach
- 1 tbsp chopped flat leaf parsley
- a pinch of smoked paprika
- Preheat the oven to 190°C, fan 170°C, gas 5. Tear the bread into roughly bite-sized croutons and toss with 1 tsp oil. Spread out on a baking tray with the almonds and toast for 8-10 minutes until both are toasted.
- Meanwhile, tip the chorizo into a hot frying pan and cook just until it starts to release its fat. Add the red pepper and cook for 2-3 minutes until the chorizo is slightly crisp and the pepper is starting to soften. Remove from the heat and add the sherry vinegar to the pan to make a dressing. Keep warm.
- Heat the rest of the oil in a second frying pan over a medium heat. Break in the duck eggs and season lightly. Cook for 1 minute, then cover with a lid and cook for 2 minutes to set the whites but leave the yolks slightly runny. Keep the heat fairly low so that they cook gently and the whites don't get rubbery.
- To serve, divide the spinach leaves between 2 bowls, then spoon the chorizo mixture over the top. Add the croutons and almonds and top each bowl with a duck egg. Scatter with parsley and a dusting of smoked paprika, then serve immediately.