Blueberry burst breakfast bars
- 1 x 100g pack seed mix (contains sunflower, pumpkin, sesame and golden linseed)
- 60g skin-on almonds, roughly sliced
- 1 x 225g pack blueberries
- 100g coconut oil
- 100g nut butter, stirred (we used almond)
- 75g maple syrup (or clear honey)
- ½ x 250g pack cooked quinoa (or use 50g dried quinoa, cooked and drained)
- 200g porridge oats (Use GF oats if required)
- ½ tbsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp ground nutmeg
- ½ tsp fine sea salt
- 2-3 ripe bananas (about 300g unpeeled weight), mashed
Step by step
The breakfast bars keep for 2 days in an airtight container, or freeze well for up to 1 month. Defrost overnight at room temperature, or in the microwave on low power.
Preheat the oven to 180°C, fan 160°C, gas 4. Grease and line a 20cm square cake tin, or a 20cm round springform tin.
Tip half the seed mix into a bowl, and add the almonds and blueberries to make the topping. Set aside.
Melt the coconut oil in a small pan, only until liquid, then remove from the heat and stir in the nut butter and maple syrup or honey.
Tip the cooked quinoa into a mixing bowl, breaking up any clumps with your fingers. Stir in the rest of the seed mix with the oats, spices and salt. Pour in the contents of the pan, add the mashed bananas and mix. Tip the mixture into the cake tin and level the surface. Scatter over the topping and press in lightly. Bake for 45 minutes or until set; a skewer should come out clean.
Cool in the tin, then cut into bars.Tip
For a touch of indulgence, mix 50g dairy-free coconut yogurt with 15g icing sugar and drizzle over just before serving.