Recipe photograph by Kris Kirkham
See more recipes
Nutritional information (per serving)
- 1 lemongrass stalk, tough outer leaves removed
- 1 red chilli
- 1 tbsp grated root ginger
- 1 litre hot chicken stock
- 1 sirloin or rump steak (about 200g), trimmed
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 2 nests rice noodles
- 1 x 200g pack sugar snap peas
- 1 large carrot
- 2 tbsp Thai fish sauce
- 2 spring onions, sliced
- 2 limes
- 6 baby mint leaves
Step by step
- Cut the lemongrass stalk in half lengthways and finely chop the chilli (remove the seeds if you prefer less heat). Put the lemongrass, chilli and grated ginger into a medium saucepan with the hot stock. Bring to the boil, cover with a lid, reduce the heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat a frying pan until hot. Rub the steak with the oil; fry for 3-4 minutes on each side for medium. Set aside.
- Cook the noodles according to pack instructions; drain, then rinse under the cold tap and divide between two bowls. Slice the sugar snaps. Shave the carrot into ribbons using a peeler.
- Add the carrot, sugar snaps and fish sauce to the stock; simmer for 3 minutes. Remove from the heat, add the spring onions and the juice of 1 lime; season.
- Ladle the broth over the noodles; top with the sliced steak and mint. Serve with lime wedges.