Beef massaman curry
Serves 6-8 | prep 10 minutes | total time
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 x 450g packs lean diced beef by Sainsbury's
- 2 onions, peeled and sliced
- 1 large red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
- 190g massaman curry paste
- 400ml tin coconut milk
- 500g baby potatoes, halved
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- juice of 1/2 a lime
- a small handful of fresh chopped coriander to garnish
- Heat half the oil in a large deep flameproof casserole dish and fry the diced beef in batches over a high heat until browned all over, adding the rest of the oil if needed. Remove the meat with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- Add the onions to the casserole dish and fry over a medium heat for 5 minutes, adding the chopped chilli after 2 minutes. Stir in the massman paste and cook for 1-2 minutes. Return the beef to the casserole dish with the coconut milk and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat to a very gentle simmer and cover tightly and cook for 1 hour 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Uncover the casserole and add the potatoes to the dish. Cover and simmer for 45 minutes, or until the beef and potatoes are tender.
- Stir in the lime juice and sugar and simmer, uncovered, for a further 15-20 minutes until the liquid has reduced slightly. Season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Serve the curry garnished with chopped coriander, if liked and with boiled rice and lime wedges.