Chocolate and strawberry ice-cream sandwiches
Suddenly we’ve got warm weather again (hurrah!), so we whipped the ice-cream tubs out of the freezer at Sainsbury’s magazine HQ and rustled up this retro dessert. It got us reminiscing about the 1970s all over again – remember Angel Delight? Trifle with a jelly layer? What was your favourite tea-time pudding?
- 125g soft butter
- 50g caster sugar
- 150g plain flour, sifted
- 25g cocoa powder, sifted, plus extra for dusting
- 1 x 450g tub strawberry ice cream
- Using an electric mixer, beat the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Add the flour and cocoa powder and mix to combine. Bring the mixture together to form a dough, using a spatula if necessary.
- Wrap the dough in clingfilm and chill for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 160°C, fan 140°C, gas 3. Dust a work surface with cocoa and roll out the dough, in batches, to 5mm thick.
- Using an 8cm cutter, stamp out 12 circles of dough and transfer them to a large baking sheet lined with nonstick baking paper. Bake the biscuits for 10 minutes.
- Leave to cool for 5 minutes, then transfer to a cooling rack (they’ll be fragile so handle them carefully). Leave the biscuits to cool completely.
- Sandwich the chocolate biscuits together with strawberry ice cream.
For extra pizzazz, dip the sides of the ice-cream sandwich in edible sprinkles