American-style bacon and avocado salad
- 500g mini new potatoes
- 2 cobs sweetcorn
- 6 rashers smoked streaky bacon
- 1 x 210g garlic baguette
- 100ml soured cream
- ½ small garlic clove, crushed
- ½ x 25g pack fresh chives
- 4 Baby Gem lettuce hearts
- 1 avocado, stoned and sliced
- Preheat the oven to 200°C, fan 180°C, gas 6. Cook the potatoes in a large pan of boiling water for 15-20 minutes until tender, adding the sweetcorn cobs for the last 5 minutes of cooking time. Drain, run under cold water and slice the potatoes.
- Meanwhile, arrange the bacon on a baking tray and the garlic baguette on a separate baking tray. Bake both in the oven for 12 minutes until crisp and golden. Set aside.
- In a jug, mix the soured cream with 1 tablespoon of water and the garlic. Snip half of the chives, add to the jug with some seasoning and mix well.
- When cool enough to handle, hold each sweetcorn cob upright on a board and cut the kernels away from the cob.
- Cut each lettuce into wedges, and transfer to a large serving bowl, scatter over the sliced potatoes, sweetcorn and avocado, and crumble over the bacon.
- Toss together, drizzle over the dressing and finish with the garlic baguette slices. Snip over the remaining chives.
Cheaty croutons - using ready-made garlic bread is an easy way to make instant croutons and transform your salad into a main meal